Fun Facts About Australia – Geography
- No part of Australia is more than 1000 km (about 700 miles)from from the ocean and abeach. (The point in the world that’s the furthest from any ocean would be in China.)
Check out our most popular vacations that include both Australia & New Zealand!
- Australia has the world’s largest cattle station (ranch). At 30,028 km2; (18,670 Miles), it is almost the same size as Belgium.
- Population density in Australia is usually calculated in km2per person, not people per km2.
- Australians have 380,000 m2per person available. Yet well over 90% are living in coastal citie
- Australian’s from Queensland are called “banana benders”, and people from Western Australia “sandgropers”.
- Tasmania has the cleanest air in the world.
- The Great Barrier Reef has a mailbox. You can ferry out there and send a postcard, stamped with the only Great Barrier Reef stamp.
- The Australian Alps, or Snowy Mountains as they are also known, receive more snow than Switzerland.
Ready to plan your dream vacation?